From mechanics to engineers to musicians, children often dive into the same occupation as their fathers, and the case is definitely true for the Marley family. After Damian released a critically acclaimed album with Nas last year, his brother Stephen is prepping to drop his own effort, Revelation Part 1: The Roots of Life, with new single No Cigarette Smoke (In My Room) leading the way. Self-producing the song and of course giving it a reggae-influenced beat, Stephen sings and lightly wails over the record with vocals that will instantly put your mind in a sedated state (additional chemical assistance is completely optional). Picking up songstress Melanie Fiona, fresh off her superb work on Fool for You, for assistance proves to be a beautiful addition as the two complement each other’s styles perfectly. Marley’s raspy voice balances out Fiona’s always smooth crooning, resulting in a deeply engaging harmony. Cigarette smoke or not, you’ll want to keep an eye out for Revelation Part 1, due to please eardrums worldwide soon.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 02/10/11
Submit your Rating
Ghetto Youths/Universal Republic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Traffic Jam ft. Damian Marley" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.