For me, nightmares are nowhere near as upsetting as the really good dreams – you know, the ones where you win the lottery or Beyoncé asks you to Sadie Hawkins, and your first thought upon waking is, “Oh, right, my life is nowhere near that awesome.” On So Close, So Far, the latest single off his forthcoming third album, heavyweight producer Statik Selektah enlists a few Booth favorites to explore a similar (if less frivolous) theme, laying down a smooth, wistfully jazzy beat as UGK alum Bun B reimagines the world as a wonderful place where cancer and AIDS don’t exist, corporations don’t take advantage of the common man, and everyone can keep their jobs and houses. D.C.-Chillin’ emcee Wale brings us back to reality on the back end, encouraging us to be grateful for what we do have, and Colin Munroe rounds out the lineup, contributing his trademark studio-tweaked vocals to the hook. This reflective track, reader-acclaimed cut Come Around and much more can be found on Statik’s 100 Proof: The Hangover LP when it hits stores February 2.
Written by richard on 01/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.