On his last feature, Statik Selektah joined forces with Booth favorites Skyzoo and Sha Stimuli to lament the mind-numbing repetition inherent in the daily grind: “Different Day, Same Sh*t, ain’t nothing good…” Despite that track’s downbeat theme, its formula – brassy, old-school boardwork, lyrically-talented guest muscle – is one well worth repeating. Im Wit It (Showoff Remix), the final leak off Statik’s Pre-Game EP finds the eminent DJ/producer continuing in a similar vein, this time enlisting the services of BK icon Talib Kweli and Lone Star State emcee/producer Cory Mo to flow over his bombastic, horn-synth production. Talib performs as impressively as ever on the front end, taking aim at the sucker emcees and style-biters, and Mo’s closing verse may come as a pleasant surprise to readers who weren’t won over by his first feature. The Pre-Game is available now from online retailers, and fans should keep it locked to the Booth for all the latest on Statik’s forthcoming studio album, set to hit store shelves sometime in spring of 2010.
Written by richard on 12/16/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.