Full disclosure: The native Bostonian in me is angry to see my fellow Beantown representative Statik Selektah involved in a track called New York, New York (Yankees suck), but the hip-hop head in me knows that it ain’t where you’re from, it’s where you’re at. And the place Statik is in right now involves working with some of the game’s best and brightest, including Big Apple staples Styles P., Saigon and Jared Evan. Over yet another head-nodding beat from Statik that isn’t afraid to incorporate elements of jazz and soul and a hook from Evan that I’m sure many will mistake for a sample (I almost did), Styles kicks things off with a distinctly NYC verse that references everything from the ubiquitous Yankees caps to the Statue of Liberty. Those sentiments are echoed by Greatest Story teller Saigon, who paints a classic hip-hop reference laden for his 16. The result is a track so good its appeal just can’t be denied, even by bitter Bostonians like myself. For even more geography-busting rap be sure to check out Statik’s Population Control album, dropping this Tuesday, October 25.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.