Though Statik Selektah‘s latest single sees the Lawrence, Massachusetts DJ/producer using a classic Biggie sample to express his disenchantment with today’s hip-hop, The Thrill Is Gone isn’t as pessimistic as its title implies—actually, it seems more like a challenge than a dour indictment of the game. Guest artists Styles P. and Talib Kweli prove determined to rekindle that spark; the Ghost acknowledges that simply looking back isn’t the answer, and suggests emcees, “rap about a thought that you had on your mind” rather than falling back on overdone topics like “swag” and “the grind,” while Kweli elects to show rather than tell, expressing his passion for the genre in a poetically allusive middle verse. Statik accompanies his collaborators’ deep thoughts with a jazzy, sampled instrumental sure to have old-school heads bobbing. Those who like what they hear can look forward to an unusually pleasant Hangover this summer, when Selektah’s latest LP hits stores.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.