Though Statik Selektah‘s latest single sees the Lawrence, Massachusetts DJ/producer using a classic Biggie sample to express his disenchantment with today’s hip-hop, The Thrill Is Gone isn’t as pessimistic as its title implies—actually, it seems more like a challenge than a dour indictment of the game. Guest artists Styles P. and Talib Kweli prove determined to rekindle that spark; the Ghost acknowledges that simply looking back isn’t the answer, and suggests emcees, “rap about a thought that you had on your mind” rather than falling back on overdone topics like “swag” and “the grind,” while Kweli elects to show rather than tell, expressing his passion for the genre in a poetically allusive middle verse. Statik accompanies his collaborators’ deep thoughts with a jazzy, sampled instrumental sure to have old-school heads bobbing. Those who like what they hear can look forward to an unusually pleasant Hangover this summer, when Selektah’s latest LP hits stores.
Written by richard on 04/28/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.