Critics take note: Statik Selektah and his crew are prepared lay the smack down on anyone who dares award them less than an A+, 5-star, one-hundred-percent great review. Fortunately for all who want to keep both their journalistic integrity and their teeth, the veteran beatsmith’s latest single is well-deserving of praise. Critically Acclaimed finds Heltah Skeltah alumnus Sean Price, Saigon, and M.O.P.‘s Lil Fame coming with their most aggressive rhymes over the Brooklyn vet’s characteristically gritty mix of midtempo percussion, record scratches, and horn/flute flourishes. Lyrical ultraviolence is the main focus here: over the course of the track, the collaborators threaten naysayers with black eyes, broken noses, decapitation, and, of course, gunshot wounds. This slice of East Coast boom-bap will doubtless live up to its name in the Booth (or else!); if you know what’s good for you, you’ll head out to your local record shop and pick up a copy of 100 Proof (The Hangover) when drops in early October.
Written by richard on 07/29/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)