Critics take note: Statik Selektah and his crew are prepared lay the smack down on anyone who dares award them less than an A+, 5-star, one-hundred-percent great review. Fortunately for all who want to keep both their journalistic integrity and their teeth, the veteran beatsmith’s latest single is well-deserving of praise. Critically Acclaimed finds Heltah Skeltah alumnus Sean Price, Saigon, and M.O.P.‘s Lil Fame coming with their most aggressive rhymes over the Brooklyn vet’s characteristically gritty mix of midtempo percussion, record scratches, and horn/flute flourishes. Lyrical ultraviolence is the main focus here: over the course of the track, the collaborators threaten naysayers with black eyes, broken noses, decapitation, and, of course, gunshot wounds. This slice of East Coast boom-bap will doubtless live up to its name in the Booth (or else!); if you know what’s good for you, you’ll head out to your local record shop and pick up a copy of 100 Proof (The Hangover) when drops in early October.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.