Critics take note: Statik Selektah and his crew are prepared lay the smack down on anyone who dares award them less than an A+, 5-star, one-hundred-percent great review. Fortunately for all who want to keep both their journalistic integrity and their teeth, the veteran beatsmith’s latest single is well-deserving of praise. Critically Acclaimed finds Heltah Skeltah alumnus Sean Price, Saigon, and M.O.P.‘s Lil Fame coming with their most aggressive rhymes over the Brooklyn vet’s characteristically gritty mix of midtempo percussion, record scratches, and horn/flute flourishes. Lyrical ultraviolence is the main focus here: over the course of the track, the collaborators threaten naysayers with black eyes, broken noses, decapitation, and, of course, gunshot wounds. This slice of East Coast boom-bap will doubtless live up to its name in the Booth (or else!); if you know what’s good for you, you’ll head out to your local record shop and pick up a copy of 100 Proof (The Hangover) when drops in early October.
Written by richard on 07/29/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.