Critics take note: Statik Selektah and his crew are prepared lay the smack down on anyone who dares award them less than an A+, 5-star, one-hundred-percent great review. Fortunately for all who want to keep both their journalistic integrity and their teeth, the veteran beatsmith’s latest single is well-deserving of praise. Critically Acclaimed finds Heltah Skeltah alumnus Sean Price, Saigon, and M.O.P.‘s Lil Fame coming with their most aggressive rhymes over the Brooklyn vet’s characteristically gritty mix of midtempo percussion, record scratches, and horn/flute flourishes. Lyrical ultraviolence is the main focus here: over the course of the track, the collaborators threaten naysayers with black eyes, broken noses, decapitation, and, of course, gunshot wounds. This slice of East Coast boom-bap will doubtless live up to its name in the Booth (or else!); if you know what’s good for you, you’ll head out to your local record shop and pick up a copy of 100 Proof (The Hangover) when drops in early October.
Written by richard on 07/29/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.