When it comes to rap, producers are just as responsible as emcees for a track’s success or failure. Unfortunately, while the man on the boards may be half of the equation, he typically receives far less than half of the credit. When a beat like Statik Selektah’s Take It To The Top comes around, you can’t help but hope the man gets his due. Sure, Cassidy, Saigon, and Termanology hold down their end on the mic, but the real star of the track doesn’t say a word. Statik really brings his A-game, mixing in some live-sounding drums and subdued bass with an airy guitar that makes the treble sing like an angel. If dope music isn’t your thing, don’t check out his upcoming mixtape, Stick 2 The Script (Sept. 30).
Written by Charlie E. on 07/15/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.