When it comes to rap, producers are just as responsible as emcees for a track’s success or failure. Unfortunately, while the man on the boards may be half of the equation, he typically receives far less than half of the credit. When a beat like Statik Selektah’s Take It To The Top comes around, you can’t help but hope the man gets his due. Sure, Cassidy, Saigon, and Termanology hold down their end on the mic, but the real star of the track doesn’t say a word. Statik really brings his A-game, mixing in some live-sounding drums and subdued bass with an airy guitar that makes the treble sing like an angel. If dope music isn’t your thing, don’t check out his upcoming mixtape, Stick 2 The Script (Sept. 30).
Written by Charlie E. on 07/15/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.