When it comes to rap, producers are just as responsible as emcees for a track’s success or failure. Unfortunately, while the man on the boards may be half of the equation, he typically receives far less than half of the credit. When a beat like Statik Selektah’s Take It To The Top comes around, you can’t help but hope the man gets his due. Sure, Cassidy, Saigon, and Termanology hold down their end on the mic, but the real star of the track doesn’t say a word. Statik really brings his A-game, mixing in some live-sounding drums and subdued bass with an airy guitar that makes the treble sing like an angel. If dope music isn’t your thing, don’t check out his upcoming mixtape, Stick 2 The Script (Sept. 30).
Written by Charlie E. on 07/15/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.