When it comes to rap, producers are just as responsible as emcees for a track’s success or failure. Unfortunately, while the man on the boards may be half of the equation, he typically receives far less than half of the credit. When a beat like Statik Selektah’s Take It To The Top comes around, you can’t help but hope the man gets his due. Sure, Cassidy, Saigon, and Termanology hold down their end on the mic, but the real star of the track doesn’t say a word. Statik really brings his A-game, mixing in some live-sounding drums and subdued bass with an airy guitar that makes the treble sing like an angel. If dope music isn’t your thing, don’t check out his upcoming mixtape, Stick 2 The Script (Sept. 30).
Written by Charlie E. on 07/15/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.