Sometimes a track will be so boring that I’ll be forced talk about other topics in the intro, this is not one of those times. In fact, Come Around provides so much material to work with I could spend a couple pages breaking it down. Produced by the always smooth Boston-based producer Statik Selaktah (spell it right suckas), Come Around is minimally soulful, consisting of a soft vocal sample, echoing snare, scratches and not much else. Vocally the track features some of the game’s best and brightest, starting with Brooklyn legend Talib Kweli, who’s been releasing a ton of material lately, and then moving onto Statik’s fellow Bostonian Termanology, who drops yet another smoothly paced flow. Rounding out the roster is Royce da 5’9”, who’s apparently in a particularly irreverent mood, dropping punchline after memorable punchline. With a line-up like that, there’s really not much more I need to say. Come Around is the first single off Statik’s new album 100 Proof: The Hangover, set to hit stores and bars on February 2.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/5/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.