Sometimes a track will be so boring that I’ll be forced talk about other topics in the intro, this is not one of those times. In fact, Come Around provides so much material to work with I could spend a couple pages breaking it down. Produced by the always smooth Boston-based producer Statik Selaktah (spell it right suckas), Come Around is minimally soulful, consisting of a soft vocal sample, echoing snare, scratches and not much else. Vocally the track features some of the game’s best and brightest, starting with Brooklyn legend Talib Kweli, who’s been releasing a ton of material lately, and then moving onto Statik’s fellow Bostonian Termanology, who drops yet another smoothly paced flow. Rounding out the roster is Royce da 5’9”, who’s apparently in a particularly irreverent mood, dropping punchline after memorable punchline. With a line-up like that, there’s really not much more I need to say. Come Around is the first single off Statik’s new album 100 Proof: The Hangover, set to hit stores and bars on February 2.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/5/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)