I don’t want to be a downer, but the summer’s already on the downward slope to fall. All across America kids are going back to school shopping, guys are preparing to put the roof back on the convertible and girls are eyeing their closets for warmer clothes. But don’t despair, there’s still time to get in some serious Summertime Grinding. The latest release for rhyme vet Stat Quo, and the first we’ve heard from the man since 2010’s Ridin, Summertime is an appropriately warm joint that still contains no shortage of grit. I wish I could give some props to the producer who grabbed Kool & The Gang’s Summer Madness (the same one Jazzy Jeff used on the classic Summertime) but the beatsmith’s identity is so far a mystery. We can, however, give Stat full credit for the barrage of rewind-worthy lines he drops during a lyrical voyage that veers from the joys of oral sex to the seriousness of a broken prison system. Oh, and bonus points for the Rex Ryan line. Summertime Grind doesn’t have a home yet, but Quo promises a new project is on the way, and that it will be “dope sh*t.”
Written by Nathan S. on 08/18/11
Submit your Rating
Big Dream Ventures
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billion Bucks" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.