I don’t want to be a downer, but the summer’s already on the downward slope to fall. All across America kids are going back to school shopping, guys are preparing to put the roof back on the convertible and girls are eyeing their closets for warmer clothes. But don’t despair, there’s still time to get in some serious Summertime Grinding. The latest release for rhyme vet Stat Quo, and the first we’ve heard from the man since 2010’s Ridin, Summertime is an appropriately warm joint that still contains no shortage of grit. I wish I could give some props to the producer who grabbed Kool & The Gang’s Summer Madness (the same one Jazzy Jeff used on the classic Summertime) but the beatsmith’s identity is so far a mystery. We can, however, give Stat full credit for the barrage of rewind-worthy lines he drops during a lyrical voyage that veers from the joys of oral sex to the seriousness of a broken prison system. Oh, and bonus points for the Rex Ryan line. Summertime Grind doesn’t have a home yet, but Quo promises a new project is on the way, and that it will be “dope sh*t.”
Written by Nathan S. on 08/18/11
Submit your Rating
Big Dream Ventures
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billion Bucks" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.