Though it’s been nearly a year since the cut was released as a single, the success of A Milli continues to inspire emcees everywhere to dust off all the lines they’d previously shelved as ‘too weird for public consumption’ and deliver them in a stark, grimy lyrical free-for-all. Of course, I’m not complaining—I’ll take bizarre over boring any day of the week! On newly-released mixtape cut Stylin’, Stat Quo becomes the latest rapper to throw his hat into the free-association ring, with considerable success. The opening verse, in which Stat claims to have “pockets full of gravy,” and also, if I’m hearing him correctly, to be filled with frogs, is arguably the record’s lyrical high point, and DJ Pain‘s sparse beat, which boasts a brief but very catchy hook, gets the job done while keeping the focus on the ATL native’s rhymes. If this cut whets your appetite for more of Stat’s impressive stylings, grab a copy of his Invisible Man mixtape on April 8th, and check back with us this June for his contribution to our exclusive freestyle series.
Written by richard on 03/24/09
Submit your Rating
Big Dream Ventures
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billion Bucks" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.