Though it’s been nearly a year since the cut was released as a single, the success of A Milli continues to inspire emcees everywhere to dust off all the lines they’d previously shelved as ‘too weird for public consumption’ and deliver them in a stark, grimy lyrical free-for-all. Of course, I’m not complaining—I’ll take bizarre over boring any day of the week! On newly-released mixtape cut Stylin’, Stat Quo becomes the latest rapper to throw his hat into the free-association ring, with considerable success. The opening verse, in which Stat claims to have “pockets full of gravy,” and also, if I’m hearing him correctly, to be filled with frogs, is arguably the record’s lyrical high point, and DJ Pain‘s sparse beat, which boasts a brief but very catchy hook, gets the job done while keeping the focus on the ATL native’s rhymes. If this cut whets your appetite for more of Stat’s impressive stylings, grab a copy of his Invisible Man mixtape on April 8th, and check back with us this June for his contribution to our exclusive freestyle series.
Listen to More: Stat Quo
Written by richard on 03/24/09
Big Dream Ventures
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billion Bucks" (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.