On a new mixtape cut, three of the game’s most talented emcees join forces with an up-and-coming producer to pay tribute to one of the most important individuals in East Coast hip-hop history – a man who, in addition to working with MC Guru in Gang Starr, helped everyone from KRS-One and Big Daddy Kane to Nas, Biggie, and Jay-Z create genre-defining cuts. Off the upcoming Checks and Balances Mixtape (due out February 24th), Homage to Premier was obviously a labor of love for all involved; Focus’ beat finds him showcasing his talent as an impressionist as Stat Quo, Royce Da 5’9, and Little Brother emcee Phonte each step up to the plate to spit nostalgic, punchline-filled odes to the prolific DJ/producer, and the record’s hook splices together quotable lines from several of the emcees Premier helped make famous. In addition to putting smiles on the faces of old-school heads, Homage to Premier is sure to raise the younger set’s awareness of one of hip-hop’s behind-the-scenes legends.
Written by richard on 01/26/09
Submit your Rating
Big Dream Ventures
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billion Bucks" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.