On a new mixtape cut, three of the game’s most talented emcees join forces with an up-and-coming producer to pay tribute to one of the most important individuals in East Coast hip-hop history – a man who, in addition to working with MC Guru in Gang Starr, helped everyone from KRS-One and Big Daddy Kane to Nas, Biggie, and Jay-Z create genre-defining cuts. Off the upcoming Checks and Balances Mixtape (due out February 24th), Homage to Premier was obviously a labor of love for all involved; Focus’ beat finds him showcasing his talent as an impressionist as Stat Quo, Royce Da 5’9, and Little Brother emcee Phonte each step up to the plate to spit nostalgic, punchline-filled odes to the prolific DJ/producer, and the record’s hook splices together quotable lines from several of the emcees Premier helped make famous. In addition to putting smiles on the faces of old-school heads, Homage to Premier is sure to raise the younger set’s awareness of one of hip-hop’s behind-the-scenes legends.
Written by richard on 01/26/09
Submit your Rating
Big Dream Ventures
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billion Bucks" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.