On a new mixtape cut, three of the game’s most talented emcees join forces with an up-and-coming producer to pay tribute to one of the most important individuals in East Coast hip-hop history – a man who, in addition to working with MC Guru in Gang Starr, helped everyone from KRS-One and Big Daddy Kane to Nas, Biggie, and Jay-Z create genre-defining cuts. Off the upcoming Checks and Balances Mixtape (due out February 24th), Homage to Premier was obviously a labor of love for all involved; Focus’ beat finds him showcasing his talent as an impressionist as Stat Quo, Royce Da 5’9, and Little Brother emcee Phonte each step up to the plate to spit nostalgic, punchline-filled odes to the prolific DJ/producer, and the record’s hook splices together quotable lines from several of the emcees Premier helped make famous. In addition to putting smiles on the faces of old-school heads, Homage to Premier is sure to raise the younger set’s awareness of one of hip-hop’s behind-the-scenes legends.
Written by richard on 01/26/09
Big Dream Ventures
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billion Bucks" (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.