On a new mixtape cut, three of the game’s most talented emcees join forces with an up-and-coming producer to pay tribute to one of the most important individuals in East Coast hip-hop history – a man who, in addition to working with MC Guru in Gang Starr, helped everyone from KRS-One and Big Daddy Kane to Nas, Biggie, and Jay-Z create genre-defining cuts. Off the upcoming Checks and Balances Mixtape (due out February 24th), Homage to Premier was obviously a labor of love for all involved; Focus’ beat finds him showcasing his talent as an impressionist as Stat Quo, Royce Da 5’9, and Little Brother emcee Phonte each step up to the plate to spit nostalgic, punchline-filled odes to the prolific DJ/producer, and the record’s hook splices together quotable lines from several of the emcees Premier helped make famous. In addition to putting smiles on the faces of old-school heads, Homage to Premier is sure to raise the younger set’s awareness of one of hip-hop’s behind-the-scenes legends.
Written by richard on 01/26/09
Submit your Rating
Big Dream Ventures
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Billion Bucks" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.