In the famous concluding sentences of high-school English staple The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald describes his characters (and, by extension, humanity) as, “...boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past.” If you ask Maza, Kid Digit-ø , Ceddy and 07017 of StartYourOwnRebellion, though, the danger of retracing one’s steps shouldn’t stop one from setting sail—even if worst comes to worst and you end up Shipwrecked, you’ll be able to sink into the briny deep without regret for the voyages you never took. The long-awaited follow-up to solo Booth debut Let It Go, this newly-released promo single finds SoundwavVe crafting a bittersweet, synth-driven backdrop for the “virtual” quartet’s sung and flowed vignettes on freedom, forward momentum and the struggle against inertia. Laced with poetic imagery and evocative turns of phrase, the Dreamville crew’s bars blend with the dreamy instrumental to create a jam as thematically complex as it is ear-pleasing. Shipwrecked isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can—of course—stay tuned to The DJBooth for all the latest developments in SYOR’s collective hustle.
Written by richard on 02/19/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let it Go" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.