In the famous concluding sentences of high-school English staple The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald describes his characters (and, by extension, humanity) as, “...boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past.” If you ask Maza, Kid Digit-ø , Ceddy and 07017 of StartYourOwnRebellion, though, the danger of retracing one’s steps shouldn’t stop one from setting sail—even if worst comes to worst and you end up Shipwrecked, you’ll be able to sink into the briny deep without regret for the voyages you never took. The long-awaited follow-up to solo Booth debut Let It Go, this newly-released promo single finds SoundwavVe crafting a bittersweet, synth-driven backdrop for the “virtual” quartet’s sung and flowed vignettes on freedom, forward momentum and the struggle against inertia. Laced with poetic imagery and evocative turns of phrase, the Dreamville crew’s bars blend with the dreamy instrumental to create a jam as thematically complex as it is ear-pleasing. Shipwrecked isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can—of course—stay tuned to The DJBooth for all the latest developments in SYOR’s collective hustle.
Written by richard on 02/19/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.