In the famous concluding sentences of high-school English staple The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald describes his characters (and, by extension, humanity) as, “...boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past.” If you ask Maza, Kid Digit-ø , Ceddy and 07017 of StartYourOwnRebellion, though, the danger of retracing one’s steps shouldn’t stop one from setting sail—even if worst comes to worst and you end up Shipwrecked, you’ll be able to sink into the briny deep without regret for the voyages you never took. The long-awaited follow-up to solo Booth debut Let It Go, this newly-released promo single finds SoundwavVe crafting a bittersweet, synth-driven backdrop for the “virtual” quartet’s sung and flowed vignettes on freedom, forward momentum and the struggle against inertia. Laced with poetic imagery and evocative turns of phrase, the Dreamville crew’s bars blend with the dreamy instrumental to create a jam as thematically complex as it is ear-pleasing. Shipwrecked isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging it can—of course—stay tuned to The DJBooth for all the latest developments in SYOR’s collective hustle.
Written by richard on 02/19/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.