Nearly three years after the UGK legend’s tragic death, rappers from the Lone Star State and beyond continue to pay regular tribute to Pimp C, and it’s no mystery why: behind the Southern-fried swagger, hot instrumentals and female dog/gardening implement-peppered verses beats the heart of a born leader with an ironclad commitment to realness. Thus, it’s only right that, in his first feature, Stalley evokes the late great’s memory as he takes on the fakers and wannabes: “Take that Monkey Ish off, you’re embarrassing us.” Rashad Thomas’ boardwork, fueled by that classic quote (from Three 6‘s Sippin on Some Syrup) as well as some sampled grunts from Syl Johnson’s Different Strokes (see also Kanye‘s The Joy) sets the stage for bars that are equal parts combative and contemplative. Lamenting that “There’s no leaders in the game, just a bunch of monkeys tryin’ to hang in packs and do the same thing,” the Ohio native commits himself to bearing the mantle of true hip-hop. Think Stalley might be the solution to the industry’s woes? Then you’ll most definitely want to check what else he and his behind-the-boards partner have to offer on Lincoln Way Nights, due out Jan. 11.
Written by richard on 01/2/11
Maybach Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.