Though Spree Wilson‘s already won considerable reader acclaim for Novel collabos Dreamworld and I Am, the Georgia-based up-and-comer’s still unsure whether heads in the Booth and beyond are hearing him—thus, he’s released a brand new single sure to catch the listening public’s attention. Leaked to the ‘net back in June but presented here in its official, finished form, the Evil Angel track finds Spree greeting his fans, his haters, and everyone in between with a hearty shout of, “Word!” Flexing his distinctive flow around Chi-town icon No I.D.‘s densely-layered, intertwining synth lines and grimy percussion, the rapper clues us in on what he’s all about: in verses packed with oddball lyrical gems, he describes himself as “a modern-day bluesman,” “a misfit with some bright ideas,” and “a fearless freak,” employing a bouncy delivery perfectly attuned to the instrumental’s off-kilter vibe. This uniquely catchy, slightly dizzying single makes a big impression, and listeners digging its out-of-this-world style are sure to find more to their liking on Spree’s Evil Angel EP, due out in September.
Listen to More: Spree Wilson Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.