Though Spree Wilson‘s already won considerable reader acclaim for Novel collabos Dreamworld and I Am, the Georgia-based up-and-comer’s still unsure whether heads in the Booth and beyond are hearing him—thus, he’s released a brand new single sure to catch the listening public’s attention. Leaked to the ‘net back in June but presented here in its official, finished form, the Evil Angel track finds Spree greeting his fans, his haters, and everyone in between with a hearty shout of, “Word!” Flexing his distinctive flow around Chi-town icon No I.D.‘s densely-layered, intertwining synth lines and grimy percussion, the rapper clues us in on what he’s all about: in verses packed with oddball lyrical gems, he describes himself as “a modern-day bluesman,” “a misfit with some bright ideas,” and “a fearless freak,” employing a bouncy delivery perfectly attuned to the instrumental’s off-kilter vibe. This uniquely catchy, slightly dizzying single makes a big impression, and listeners digging its out-of-this-world style are sure to find more to their liking on Spree’s Evil Angel EP, due out in September.
Written by richard on 07/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)