Though Spree Wilson‘s already won considerable reader acclaim for Novel collabos Dreamworld and I Am, the Georgia-based up-and-comer’s still unsure whether heads in the Booth and beyond are hearing him—thus, he’s released a brand new single sure to catch the listening public’s attention. Leaked to the ‘net back in June but presented here in its official, finished form, the Evil Angel track finds Spree greeting his fans, his haters, and everyone in between with a hearty shout of, “Word!” Flexing his distinctive flow around Chi-town icon No I.D.‘s densely-layered, intertwining synth lines and grimy percussion, the rapper clues us in on what he’s all about: in verses packed with oddball lyrical gems, he describes himself as “a modern-day bluesman,” “a misfit with some bright ideas,” and “a fearless freak,” employing a bouncy delivery perfectly attuned to the instrumental’s off-kilter vibe. This uniquely catchy, slightly dizzying single makes a big impression, and listeners digging its out-of-this-world style are sure to find more to their liking on Spree’s Evil Angel EP, due out in September.
Listen to More: Spree Wilson
Written by richard on 07/21/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)