Though Spree Wilson‘s already won considerable reader acclaim for Novel collabos Dreamworld and I Am, the Georgia-based up-and-comer’s still unsure whether heads in the Booth and beyond are hearing him—thus, he’s released a brand new single sure to catch the listening public’s attention. Leaked to the ‘net back in June but presented here in its official, finished form, the Evil Angel track finds Spree greeting his fans, his haters, and everyone in between with a hearty shout of, “Word!” Flexing his distinctive flow around Chi-town icon No I.D.‘s densely-layered, intertwining synth lines and grimy percussion, the rapper clues us in on what he’s all about: in verses packed with oddball lyrical gems, he describes himself as “a modern-day bluesman,” “a misfit with some bright ideas,” and “a fearless freak,” employing a bouncy delivery perfectly attuned to the instrumental’s off-kilter vibe. This uniquely catchy, slightly dizzying single makes a big impression, and listeners digging its out-of-this-world style are sure to find more to their liking on Spree’s Evil Angel EP, due out in September.
Written by richard on 07/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.