Though Spree Wilson‘s already won considerable reader acclaim for Novel collabos Dreamworld and I Am, the Georgia-based up-and-comer’s still unsure whether heads in the Booth and beyond are hearing him—thus, he’s released a brand new single sure to catch the listening public’s attention. Leaked to the ‘net back in June but presented here in its official, finished form, the Evil Angel track finds Spree greeting his fans, his haters, and everyone in between with a hearty shout of, “Word!” Flexing his distinctive flow around Chi-town icon No I.D.‘s densely-layered, intertwining synth lines and grimy percussion, the rapper clues us in on what he’s all about: in verses packed with oddball lyrical gems, he describes himself as “a modern-day bluesman,” “a misfit with some bright ideas,” and “a fearless freak,” employing a bouncy delivery perfectly attuned to the instrumental’s off-kilter vibe. This uniquely catchy, slightly dizzying single makes a big impression, and listeners digging its out-of-this-world style are sure to find more to their liking on Spree’s Evil Angel EP, due out in September.
Listen to More: Spree Wilson
Written by richard on 07/21/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.