Well over a year ago I reviewed Spree Wilson’s new EP, Evil Angel, and predicted big things for the intensely eclectic artist. And then…. and then we didn’t hear from Spree again. What has he been up to over the past year? Two things: One, becoming an Olympic moguls skier, and two, putting together new singles like Where Do We Go Tonight. (Note: Only one of those things is true.) As expected, Go Tonight covers a wide range of musical influences as producer No I.D. begins the audio journey with a hazy, smothered beat, brings in an acoustic guitar for the middle section, and then closes with a blues influenced jam. It’d be far too much for most emcees to follow, but Spree does well to keep the pace, dropping slightly off-kilter riding rhymes and then to top it off lays down some instantly distinctive vocals. Love him or hate him there is only one Spree Wilson, and it’s good to have him back. Wilson’s long-awaited debut project, The Never Ending Now, is still searching for an official release date. Hopefully we won’t be kept waiting long.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/10/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.