The last we heard from Spree Wilson he was proclaiming himself to be King Sh*t (not to be confused with the King of Sh*t.) Fans of the ATL singer/songwriter/professional boundary breaker shouldn’t be surprised then that Spree’s taking a decidedly different tact on the second release from his upcoming The Spark album, this time comparing a lovely lady’s ability to strike him down with the merest of glances to a Sharpshooter. Or as Wilson more bluntly puts it, “It’s my version of audio sex.” Spree splits production duties with frequent collaborator Shoden!1 with the pair this time ditching the darker sound of their previous beat in favor of a synth soaked and lightly guitar touched beat aimed at inspiring some shots from Cupid. Vocally Wilson is at his funkiest, offering up a light hook that floats perfectly over the instrumental’s crisply dancing base. Can I offer some advice to those inexplicably hesitating to press play? Stop thinking and just “bang and get it over with.” While Wilson’s long-awaited album The Spark is still awaiting a solid release date, with releases like this it’s only a matter of time before that spark becomes a fire.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/6/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.