If we’ve come to expect one thing from Spree Wilson, it’s the unexpected. One minute the man’s delving into lushly philosophical territory (King Sh*t) and the next he’s comparing a lovely lady’s lust to a lethal weapon (Sharpshooter). So am I surprised that the singer/songwriter/rapper/human etc. has released a new single, Rare Moments, whose roots lie in country-music storytelling tradition? No, not all at. Do I need to stop asking myself rhetorical questions? Yes. On the production tip Rare Moments pairs Spree with frequent collaboration Shoden!1 for a guitar driven track that slowly builds into a horn laced affair complete with strings from Miguel Atwood-Ferguson. Throughout it all Wilson’s vocals are the anchor as he delivers sweet but not saccharine lyrics sure to melt even the hardest heart. It reminds me of his Don’t Pass Me By, if not in exact sound than certainly in spirit. Speaking of which, while we wait for Spree’s upcoming album, The Spark, to receive a release date, why not download his last project The Never Ending Now, available for free stream and download right now?
Written by Nathan S. on 02/22/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)