If we’ve come to expect one thing from Spree Wilson, it’s the unexpected. One minute the man’s delving into lushly philosophical territory (King Sh*t) and the next he’s comparing a lovely lady’s lust to a lethal weapon (Sharpshooter). So am I surprised that the singer/songwriter/rapper/human etc. has released a new single, Rare Moments, whose roots lie in country-music storytelling tradition? No, not all at. Do I need to stop asking myself rhetorical questions? Yes. On the production tip Rare Moments pairs Spree with frequent collaboration Shoden!1 for a guitar driven track that slowly builds into a horn laced affair complete with strings from Miguel Atwood-Ferguson. Throughout it all Wilson’s vocals are the anchor as he delivers sweet but not saccharine lyrics sure to melt even the hardest heart. It reminds me of his Don’t Pass Me By, if not in exact sound than certainly in spirit. Speaking of which, while we wait for Spree’s upcoming album, The Spark, to receive a release date, why not download his last project The Never Ending Now, available for free stream and download right now?
Written by Nathan S. on 02/22/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)