If we’ve come to expect one thing from Spree Wilson, it’s the unexpected. One minute the man’s delving into lushly philosophical territory (King Sh*t) and the next he’s comparing a lovely lady’s lust to a lethal weapon (Sharpshooter). So am I surprised that the singer/songwriter/rapper/human etc. has released a new single, Rare Moments, whose roots lie in country-music storytelling tradition? No, not all at. Do I need to stop asking myself rhetorical questions? Yes. On the production tip Rare Moments pairs Spree with frequent collaboration Shoden!1 for a guitar driven track that slowly builds into a horn laced affair complete with strings from Miguel Atwood-Ferguson. Throughout it all Wilson’s vocals are the anchor as he delivers sweet but not saccharine lyrics sure to melt even the hardest heart. It reminds me of his Don’t Pass Me By, if not in exact sound than certainly in spirit. Speaking of which, while we wait for Spree’s upcoming album, The Spark, to receive a release date, why not download his last project The Never Ending Now, available for free stream and download right now?
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.