I know, Thanksgiving was last Thursday, but I won’t be able to remember this till November 24, 2011, so here goes: I’m thankful to live in a day and age when a hip-hop artist can drop a single as weird, wild and unexpected as Spree Wilson‘s latest without worrying about alienating fans. I Believe You’re Lying, actually a cover of an ‘07 cut by heavyweight producer Jon Brion, is the ATLien’s most out-the-box offering yet, with beatsmith Shoeden!1 serving up a tweaked version of Brion’s hyperkinetic drum-n-bass backdrop as Spree shares his self-defeating (yet infectiously upbeat) reflections on a new relationship. Though everything’s going fine so far – in fact, they’ve “barely met” – he’s nonetheless convinced that, given time, the girl in question will betray his trust. If that sounds a little neurotic, well, it is… but the quirky lyrical content and catchy melody are a winning combination in my book. Enough from me – are you feeling the Evil Angel emcee/singer’s latest musical concoction? Those who answer in the affirmative can expect plenty more dope surprises on debut album The Never Ending Now, due out early next year.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.