I know, Thanksgiving was last Thursday, but I won’t be able to remember this till November 24, 2011, so here goes: I’m thankful to live in a day and age when a hip-hop artist can drop a single as weird, wild and unexpected as Spree Wilson‘s latest without worrying about alienating fans. I Believe You’re Lying, actually a cover of an ‘07 cut by heavyweight producer Jon Brion, is the ATLien’s most out-the-box offering yet, with beatsmith Shoeden!1 serving up a tweaked version of Brion’s hyperkinetic drum-n-bass backdrop as Spree shares his self-defeating (yet infectiously upbeat) reflections on a new relationship. Though everything’s going fine so far – in fact, they’ve “barely met” – he’s nonetheless convinced that, given time, the girl in question will betray his trust. If that sounds a little neurotic, well, it is… but the quirky lyrical content and catchy melody are a winning combination in my book. Enough from me – are you feeling the Evil Angel emcee/singer’s latest musical concoction? Those who answer in the affirmative can expect plenty more dope surprises on debut album The Never Ending Now, due out early next year.
Written by richard on 11/29/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.