Like a volcano suddenly erupting after being dormant for an extended period of time, Spree Wilson is breaking new ground. After a year in the studio, Spree is emerging with some robust new offerings that are sure to raise some eyebrows. The word “epic” tends get overused, but I’ll go out on a limb and venture that his new single, King Sh*t (The Answer), is a step in that direction. Producer Shoden!1 crafts the beat with emotive strings as if he had a movie score in mind, and layered in drum and bass stylings to give the song just enough edge without overpowering the subtle composition. Criminally underrated R&B vocalist Novel lends his warbling voice to the chorus, which, like Jamie Foxx or Prince, make you just feel something. It’s not always easy for people to recount the difficult times they’ve experienced, but Wilson bares his soul on the record with such honesty and directness that you feel as it’s just the two of you having a heart-to-heart. If this is any indication of what to expect from his currently unscheduled debut, The Spark, then we’d be wise continue to keep our ears open for Spree Wilson in the future.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 12/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.