Like a volcano suddenly erupting after being dormant for an extended period of time, Spree Wilson is breaking new ground. After a year in the studio, Spree is emerging with some robust new offerings that are sure to raise some eyebrows. The word “epic” tends get overused, but I’ll go out on a limb and venture that his new single, King Sh*t (The Answer), is a step in that direction. Producer Shoden!1 crafts the beat with emotive strings as if he had a movie score in mind, and layered in drum and bass stylings to give the song just enough edge without overpowering the subtle composition. Criminally underrated R&B vocalist Novel lends his warbling voice to the chorus, which, like Jamie Foxx or Prince, make you just feel something. It’s not always easy for people to recount the difficult times they’ve experienced, but Wilson bares his soul on the record with such honesty and directness that you feel as it’s just the two of you having a heart-to-heart. If this is any indication of what to expect from his currently unscheduled debut, The Spark, then we’d be wise continue to keep our ears open for Spree Wilson in the future.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 12/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.