Like a volcano suddenly erupting after being dormant for an extended period of time, Spree Wilson is breaking new ground. After a year in the studio, Spree is emerging with some robust new offerings that are sure to raise some eyebrows. The word “epic” tends get overused, but I’ll go out on a limb and venture that his new single, King Sh*t (The Answer), is a step in that direction. Producer Shoden!1 crafts the beat with emotive strings as if he had a movie score in mind, and layered in drum and bass stylings to give the song just enough edge without overpowering the subtle composition. Criminally underrated R&B vocalist Novel lends his warbling voice to the chorus, which, like Jamie Foxx or Prince, make you just feel something. It’s not always easy for people to recount the difficult times they’ve experienced, but Wilson bares his soul on the record with such honesty and directness that you feel as it’s just the two of you having a heart-to-heart. If this is any indication of what to expect from his currently unscheduled debut, The Spark, then we’d be wise continue to keep our ears open for Spree Wilson in the future.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 12/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.