Spree Wilson‘s latest mixtape has been out for a minute now, but those behind the curve need not fret – as the project’s title suggests, The Never Ending Now shoots for timelessness, not of-the-moment appeal. Not that you should continue dragging your feet; if you need a(nother) reason to take a listen posthaste, Eye Know should do nicely. Here, the ATL jack-of-all-trades (and master of quite a few) once again showcases his skills behind the boards, hooking up with Shoeden!1 and Tony Reyes to craft a soul-rock-pop hybrid instrumental driven by pounding piano chords and a bouncy bassline (shades of My Sharona?). Though the artist’s vocal performance is likely to elicit another round of those pesky Andre 3k/B.o.B. comparisons, it’s his individuality that shines through; how many other artists could pull off a chorus as ardent yet unassuming as Spree’s, “I know you got a lot on your plate / and I know I won’t be happy unless you stay.”? Digging this catchy, creative joint? Well, it’s just one of many – so quit waiting around and download your copy of Never Ending Now... now.
Written by richard on 05/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Am ft. Talib Kweli & Spree Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.