In a music game where dropping boast after implausible boast is the status quo, what can you do to stand out from the self-aggrandizing pack? Simple: you hate on yourself. It may not be the newest strategy in the book (heck, Eminem basically built his career on a much darker brand of self-deprecation), but Booth newcomer Spose knows that, when delivered with a little wit, self-loathing never stops being funny. The sarcastically titled I’m Awesome finds the Maine native doing double-duty on the mic and behind the boards, serving up a very un-hardcore (but catchy) xylophone/whistle/accordion-driven beat as he gives us a thorough rundown of his faults. There are too many quotables for me to settle on a favorite, but “On my game, I’m only about as sexy as John McCain.” is a representative selection. So, has Spose won you over in spite of himself? Well, then I ‘spose you should mosey on down to your local record store and purchase a copy of his currently-untitled full-length when it drops on June 29.
Listen to More: Spose Written by richard
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.