In a music game where dropping boast after implausible boast is the status quo, what can you do to stand out from the self-aggrandizing pack? Simple: you hate on yourself. It may not be the newest strategy in the book (heck, Eminem basically built his career on a much darker brand of self-deprecation), but Booth newcomer Spose knows that, when delivered with a little wit, self-loathing never stops being funny. The sarcastically titled I’m Awesome finds the Maine native doing double-duty on the mic and behind the boards, serving up a very un-hardcore (but catchy) xylophone/whistle/accordion-driven beat as he gives us a thorough rundown of his faults. There are too many quotables for me to settle on a favorite, but “On my game, I’m only about as sexy as John McCain.” is a representative selection. So, has Spose won you over in spite of himself? Well, then I ‘spose you should mosey on down to your local record store and purchase a copy of his currently-untitled full-length when it drops on June 29.
Written by richard on 04/19/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.