In a music game where dropping boast after implausible boast is the status quo, what can you do to stand out from the self-aggrandizing pack? Simple: you hate on yourself. It may not be the newest strategy in the book (heck, Eminem basically built his career on a much darker brand of self-deprecation), but Booth newcomer Spose knows that, when delivered with a little wit, self-loathing never stops being funny. The sarcastically titled I’m Awesome finds the Maine native doing double-duty on the mic and behind the boards, serving up a very un-hardcore (but catchy) xylophone/whistle/accordion-driven beat as he gives us a thorough rundown of his faults. There are too many quotables for me to settle on a favorite, but “On my game, I’m only about as sexy as John McCain.” is a representative selection. So, has Spose won you over in spite of himself? Well, then I ‘spose you should mosey on down to your local record store and purchase a copy of his currently-untitled full-length when it drops on June 29.
Written by richard on 04/19/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.