In the last five years or so, hip-hop has undergone some serious changes: genre-blending hipsters now share the mainstream airwaves with trap-rappers, jean fashions have gone from sagging to skintight (despite the content protestations of more macho rhymesayers), and a kid can become an overnight celebrity with nothing but a dream and a pirated copy of FruityLoops. It’s enough to make you say, “Gee Willikers!” Hitherto exclusively used by fictional senior citizens, that old-school cuss gets resurrected on Maine emcee (and, till recently, Universal signee) Spose‘s latest single, a catchy selection which finds him taking a lighthearted look at recent evolutions (or should that be “devolutions?”) in hip-hop music and culture. Though Spose sets a lighthearted mood on the production tip, layering breezy backing vocals and piano chords over a bouncy rhythm section, he showcases some serious mic skills, packing his bars with pop-referential punchlines (“I ain’t tryin’ to put the Big L in Deuce Bigalow.) and easily-relatable insights (“I heard Sam Adams and it made me miss Aesop Rock.”). Feeling this tongue-in-cheek State of the Game address? More wit and wisdom await on The Audacity!, scheduled for independent release this Tuesday, April 17.
Written by richard on 04/16/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.