In the last five years or so, hip-hop has undergone some serious changes: genre-blending hipsters now share the mainstream airwaves with trap-rappers, jean fashions have gone from sagging to skintight (despite the content protestations of more macho rhymesayers), and a kid can become an overnight celebrity with nothing but a dream and a pirated copy of FruityLoops. It’s enough to make you say, “Gee Willikers!” Hitherto exclusively used by fictional senior citizens, that old-school cuss gets resurrected on Maine emcee (and, till recently, Universal signee) Spose‘s latest single, a catchy selection which finds him taking a lighthearted look at recent evolutions (or should that be “devolutions?”) in hip-hop music and culture. Though Spose sets a lighthearted mood on the production tip, layering breezy backing vocals and piano chords over a bouncy rhythm section, he showcases some serious mic skills, packing his bars with pop-referential punchlines (“I ain’t tryin’ to put the Big L in Deuce Bigalow.) and easily-relatable insights (“I heard Sam Adams and it made me miss Aesop Rock.”). Feeling this tongue-in-cheek State of the Game address? More wit and wisdom await on The Audacity!, scheduled for independent release this Tuesday, April 17.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.