Picture your middle school principal. Now, imagine him or her busting out a freestyled verse in front of the student body. If that’s not the wackest concept in the history of wack concepts, I don’t know what is. So, how is it that Booth newcomer Mervin “Spectac” Jenkins, the principal of a small school in Pittsboro, North Carolina, has managed to get co-signed by all the dope artists you see on this track? No, it’s not a conspiracy among underground emcees whose names start with “S”—simply put, the man has skills. On new single Moment of Truth, the artist proves his mic-murdering mettle over production partner Shakim‘s sampled, throwback grooves, holding his own among Sha Stimuli, Skyzoo, Señor Kaos and “S”-less outlier Warren Wint. For more, check out Spectac & Shakim’s For the People LP when it hits record stores and online retailers Februray 19, via HiPNOTT Records.
Written by richard on 01/22/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"For the People" (2013)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.