Picture your middle school principal. Now, imagine him or her busting out a freestyled verse in front of the student body. If that’s not the wackest concept in the history of wack concepts, I don’t know what is. So, how is it that Booth newcomer Mervin “Spectac” Jenkins, the principal of a small school in Pittsboro, North Carolina, has managed to get co-signed by all the dope artists you see on this track? No, it’s not a conspiracy among underground emcees whose names start with “S”—simply put, the man has skills. On new single Moment of Truth, the artist proves his mic-murdering mettle over production partner Shakim‘s sampled, throwback grooves, holding his own among Sha Stimuli, Skyzoo, Señor Kaos and “S”-less outlier Warren Wint. For more, check out Spectac & Shakim’s For the People LP when it hits record stores and online retailers Februray 19, via HiPNOTT Records.
Written by richard on 01/22/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"For the People" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.