Picture your middle school principal. Now, imagine him or her busting out a freestyled verse in front of the student body. If that’s not the wackest concept in the history of wack concepts, I don’t know what is. So, how is it that Booth newcomer Mervin “Spectac” Jenkins, the principal of a small school in Pittsboro, North Carolina, has managed to get co-signed by all the dope artists you see on this track? No, it’s not a conspiracy among underground emcees whose names start with “S”—simply put, the man has skills. On new single Moment of Truth, the artist proves his mic-murdering mettle over production partner Shakim‘s sampled, throwback grooves, holding his own among Sha Stimuli, Skyzoo, Señor Kaos and “S”-less outlier Warren Wint. For more, check out Spectac & Shakim’s For the People LP when it hits record stores and online retailers Februray 19, via HiPNOTT Records.
Written by richard on 01/22/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"For the People" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.