Picture your middle school principal. Now, imagine him or her busting out a freestyled verse in front of the student body. If that’s not the wackest concept in the history of wack concepts, I don’t know what is. So, how is it that Booth newcomer Mervin “Spectac” Jenkins, the principal of a small school in Pittsboro, North Carolina, has managed to get co-signed by all the dope artists you see on this track? No, it’s not a conspiracy among underground emcees whose names start with “S”—simply put, the man has skills. On new single Moment of Truth, the artist proves his mic-murdering mettle over production partner Shakim‘s sampled, throwback grooves, holding his own among Sha Stimuli, Skyzoo, Señor Kaos and “S”-less outlier Warren Wint. For more, check out Spectac & Shakim’s For the People LP when it hits record stores and online retailers Februray 19, via HiPNOTT Records.
Written by richard on 01/22/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"For the People" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.