Years before underground emcee Spectac linked up with Shakim, his collaborator on recent LP For the People, he was one-half of a duo with producer Amiri. Three years after the release of their mutual debut album, Almost Famous, the North Carolina representative has rejoined forces with his behind-the-boards colleague for a second collaborative set. Appropriately enough, lead single I Grew Up is a musical trip down Memory Lane. Backed by his partner’s airy throwback grooves, Spectac charts his growth from an adolescent lover of New Jack Swing and The Cosby Show to an unlikely hip-hop success story, using his autobiography as a segue into larger issues facing the African-American community. Complete with breezy hook vocals by Najee, this record is slated for inclusion on the twosome’s Soul Beautiful LP. Watch for the project to hit our front page April 30, for free streaming and digital purchase.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.