Years before underground emcee Spectac linked up with Shakim, his collaborator on recent LP For the People, he was one-half of a duo with producer Amiri. Three years after the release of their mutual debut album, Almost Famous, the North Carolina representative has rejoined forces with his behind-the-boards colleague for a second collaborative set. Appropriately enough, lead single I Grew Up is a musical trip down Memory Lane. Backed by his partner’s airy throwback grooves, Spectac charts his growth from an adolescent lover of New Jack Swing and The Cosby Show to an unlikely hip-hop success story, using his autobiography as a segue into larger issues facing the African-American community. Complete with breezy hook vocals by Najee, this record is slated for inclusion on the twosome’s Soul Beautiful LP. Watch for the project to hit our front page April 30, for free streaming and digital purchase.
Written by richard on 04/10/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.