Suffering from an acute lack of howled vocals, LSD-inspired arrangements and wild, woolly guitar solos? Booth newcomers Soulutionn have the solution to all your problems. Making its world premiere right here on our front page, the Houston alt hip-hop crew’s latest EP single is both a tribute to, and a deconstruction of 60’s Rock, with guitarist Ben Jarrad busting out some sludgy, psychedelic riffs as frontman Boi Dru touches upon issues—from the struggle for civil rights, to the advance of gentrification, to the conservative resistance to black musical style—that are as relevant today as they were in the Vietnam era. Crew member DJ Anarchy fortifies the record’s beat (co-produced by Soulutionn and LeJauren “Lucky” Hally) with some well-placed samples. Watch for Soulutionn’s Burning Bridges EP to hit The DJBooth October 16, for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 10/8/12
Submit your Rating
Conscious Era Productions
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"No Way Out" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- How a Music Video Is Made: A Mock Treatment With Rapsody
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.