Ok, so here’s how this is going to go down. If you’re a teenage girl you’re going to hyperventilate over the new Soulja Boy and Drake track Play Ball, plus probably make it your new ringtone and opening track on your MySpace page. If you’re an old school hip-hop head you’re going to take one listen to Play Ball and think it’s the latest sign of the impending hip-hop apocalypse. Personally, I can identify much more with the latter group: the auto-tuned production by Boi-1da is aggravating, Drake loses some of the credibility he amassed with his Forever flow and Soulja Boy, well, that’s just SB being SB (“girls suck on my body like mosquitoes“). Still, I won’t be surprised if it’s a hit: BET, MTV and radio eat this stuff up. Play Ball is off Paranormal Activity, one of three new mixtapes Soulja Boy is dropping on October 31. Stay tuned for more (hopefully better) tracks from Soulja Boy’s impending mixtape onslaught.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/27/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Crank Dat Soulja Boy (Supaman Dat Hoe)" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.