On newly-released promo single Life Is Crazy, Booth newcomer Soulbrotha expresses a popular sentiment that rings true regardless of how many times it’s repeated: we should appreciate the lives we’ve got, since we’re not going to get another go-round. With producer AEON‘s sweeping, string-driven sample (taken from Gladys Knight’s cover of Curtis Mayfield’s The Makings of You) providing an introspective instrumental backdrop, the emcee employs a distinctive, slightly choppy flow as he addresses a few of the big existential questions that we all ponder at one point or another (“What’s the purpose of it all?” “Why does life suck?”). Though the subject matter is a little heavy, this record couldn’t have come at a better time – with the American economy still in shambles, there’s a big, big market for reassuring music; thus, Life Is Crazy‘s “grass is always greener” message should get Soulbrotha plenty of love both in and out of the Booth.
Written by richard on 02/11/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.