On newly-released promo single Life Is Crazy, Booth newcomer Soulbrotha expresses a popular sentiment that rings true regardless of how many times it’s repeated: we should appreciate the lives we’ve got, since we’re not going to get another go-round. With producer AEON‘s sweeping, string-driven sample (taken from Gladys Knight’s cover of Curtis Mayfield’s The Makings of You) providing an introspective instrumental backdrop, the emcee employs a distinctive, slightly choppy flow as he addresses a few of the big existential questions that we all ponder at one point or another (“What’s the purpose of it all?” “Why does life suck?”). Though the subject matter is a little heavy, this record couldn’t have come at a better time – with the American economy still in shambles, there’s a big, big market for reassuring music; thus, Life Is Crazy‘s “grass is always greener” message should get Soulbrotha plenty of love both in and out of the Booth.
Written by richard on 02/11/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.