The #OccupyWallStreet movement has raised myriad well-founded gripes with our current system: unemployment, poor wages, crippling student loan/mortgage debt, slashed budgets and upward income redistribution. With his latest EP single Soul Khan takes a stab at condensing the message of the 99% into a neat slogan: “I don’t wanna spend my life in Someone’s Pocket.” This newly-released EP single finds Audible Doctor serving up a slow-rolling, soul-sampled beat as the Brown Bag All-Star warns listeners against playing the materialistically-motivated game of the wealthy: “Now some say when you’re living kinda lean, the end’ll justify tryin’ to live beyond your means / But if you try to lean on them, they’re like ‘We not friends,” so back up son, this sh*t is not a dream.” For his part, the freestyle series alum is too busy, and too grateful to engage in any recession-inappropriate stunting—just in case, though, he asks fans to “slap me if I’m ever droppin’ hundreds on a style.” If this down-to-earth banger leaves you craving more, you’ll find what you seek on Khan’s Pursuance EP, dropping on the sixth. NYC residents can also get a free download of the project by purchasing a ticket to his Dec. 3 show, which The DJBooth is sponsoring.
Written by richard on 11/30/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thunder in Paradise" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.