The #OccupyWallStreet movement has raised myriad well-founded gripes with our current system: unemployment, poor wages, crippling student loan/mortgage debt, slashed budgets and upward income redistribution. With his latest EP single Soul Khan takes a stab at condensing the message of the 99% into a neat slogan: “I don’t wanna spend my life in Someone’s Pocket.” This newly-released EP single finds Audible Doctor serving up a slow-rolling, soul-sampled beat as the Brown Bag All-Star warns listeners against playing the materialistically-motivated game of the wealthy: “Now some say when you’re living kinda lean, the end’ll justify tryin’ to live beyond your means / But if you try to lean on them, they’re like ‘We not friends,” so back up son, this sh*t is not a dream.” For his part, the freestyle series alum is too busy, and too grateful to engage in any recession-inappropriate stunting—just in case, though, he asks fans to “slap me if I’m ever droppin’ hundreds on a style.” If this down-to-earth banger leaves you craving more, you’ll find what you seek on Khan’s Pursuance EP, dropping on the sixth. NYC residents can also get a free download of the project by purchasing a ticket to his Dec. 3 show, which The DJBooth is sponsoring.
Written by richard on 11/30/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Thunder in Paradise" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.