Deciding which song to select as an official single is one of the most daunting and overwhelming decisions that an artist (or label) has to make.You want to lead with a record that shows what you are all about, but you also want to maintain a touch of mystery, often used to remind listeners to check out more of your works. Newcomer //Sole Grunt masters this formula on his DJBooth debut, Slifer. Over his own funky baseline and some splattered drumming that adds to the overall raw, grungy vibe, Grunt raises an eyebrow or two with his eclectic, oddly intriguing style. Despite the ever-changing production, the New Yorker spits bars effortlessly with a strangely personable appeal. You might not be sure what kind of emcee he is, but his cooler than the other side of the pillow approach will definitely leave you itching for more; so it’s mission accomplished for the rookie. You will, however, have to wait a minute to really get to know //Sole Grunt, as his Wasted Summer album is due out sometime this summer.
Written by Lucas G. on 03/20/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"OG Bape & Supreme" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.