It’s a little early for me to be listening to music at floorboard-rattling volume, but those without sleeping neighbors should make sure their speakers are operating at full capacity before hitting play. The title of Sol‘s new single, Turn Me Loud, leaves no doubt as to how the record is best enjoyed. Nima Skeemz takes a surprisingly understated approach behind the boards—a stark, stuttering synth riff dominates the cut’s first minute, and the beat doesn’t truly drop till the halfway point—but the Washington emcee’s tenacious commentary on the hustle should keep listeners captivated as the tension gradually ramps up. Ryan Hills directs the simple, yet arresting official visuals. If you like what you’re hearing, don’t miss the rest of the quality material on Sol’s Eyes Wide Open EP, out now on iTunes and freely streamable in the Booth.
Written by richard on 11/26/13
Washington emcee Sol has unleashed his latest collection of original material, the Eyes Open EP, which is available as a free stream in The DJBooth. The artist's first release since 2012 sophomore LP Yours Truly, the project...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This Sh*t" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.