It’s a little early for me to be listening to music at floorboard-rattling volume, but those without sleeping neighbors should make sure their speakers are operating at full capacity before hitting play. The title of Sol‘s new single, Turn Me Loud, leaves no doubt as to how the record is best enjoyed. Nima Skeemz takes a surprisingly understated approach behind the boards—a stark, stuttering synth riff dominates the cut’s first minute, and the beat doesn’t truly drop till the halfway point—but the Washington emcee’s tenacious commentary on the hustle should keep listeners captivated as the tension gradually ramps up. Ryan Hills directs the simple, yet arresting official visuals. If you like what you’re hearing, don’t miss the rest of the quality material on Sol’s Eyes Wide Open EP, out now on iTunes and freely streamable in the Booth.
Written by richard on 11/26/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This Sh*t" (2011)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.