To quote the great philosopher Andy Warhol, “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” Or, as This Sh*t emcee Sol puts it on his second Booth feature, “We all know that nothing is forever babe, but if you stay where you are, [The] Times will never change.” The latest single off the Washington native’s forthcoming EP, this contemplative cut finds Sol reflecting upon the march of history. Budo takes a characteristically eclectic approach behind the boards, layering distorted guitar riffs over syncopated percussion as the headliner reminds his peers that passivity in the face of change will quickly send them the way of the dinosaur (“Get off your corner with your mixtapes, and get off MySpace.”), and Rhymesayers representative Grieves brings the record home with a lyrical meditation on the transition from LPs, to vinyl, to MP3s. Like what you’re hearing? There’s plenty more where this insightful cut came from on Dear Friends, Vol III, scheduled to drop next Monday, July 25.
Written by richard on 07/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This Sh*t" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.