Seeing Calvin Broadus revinvent himself as a spirit-channeling Rastafarian was pretty f**king weird at first, but debut album Reincarnated proved that Snoop Lion was more than a crazy gimmick. So try not to laugh too hard when you hit play on the debut video single from Snoopzilla, and see the gangsta-rap pioneer crooning seductively in a curly wig, aviators and a dookie rope. Faden Away, the first release off Snoop’s forthcoming album with Los Angeles producer Dam-Funk, feels like a throwback to 2009’s Sexual Eruption (which also boasted some hilariously kitschy, retro visuals), and I mean that as a compliment. Snoop’s Autotuned come-ons and his partner’s keytar-driven electro-funk grooves coalesce into an eminently catchy end product. Are you feeling Snoop’s newest persona? Then keep it locked for more fresh cuts between now and December 10, when 7 Days of Funk is scheduled to drop via Stones Throw.
Written by richard on 11/6/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce ft. Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2006)
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.