Seeing Calvin Broadus revinvent himself as a spirit-channeling Rastafarian was pretty f**king weird at first, but debut album Reincarnated proved that Snoop Lion was more than a crazy gimmick. So try not to laugh too hard when you hit play on the debut video single from Snoopzilla, and see the gangsta-rap pioneer crooning seductively in a curly wig, aviators and a dookie rope. Faden Away, the first release off Snoop’s forthcoming album with Los Angeles producer Dam-Funk, feels like a throwback to 2009’s Sexual Eruption (which also boasted some hilariously kitschy, retro visuals), and I mean that as a compliment. Snoop’s Autotuned come-ons and his partner’s keytar-driven electro-funk grooves coalesce into an eminently catchy end product. Are you feeling Snoop’s newest persona? Then keep it locked for more fresh cuts between now and December 10, when 7 Days of Funk is scheduled to drop via Stones Throw.
Written by richard on 11/6/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.