Seeing Calvin Broadus revinvent himself as a spirit-channeling Rastafarian was pretty f**king weird at first, but debut album Reincarnated proved that Snoop Lion was more than a crazy gimmick. So try not to laugh too hard when you hit play on the debut video single from Snoopzilla, and see the gangsta-rap pioneer crooning seductively in a curly wig, aviators and a dookie rope. Faden Away, the first release off Snoop’s forthcoming album with Los Angeles producer Dam-Funk, feels like a throwback to 2009’s Sexual Eruption (which also boasted some hilariously kitschy, retro visuals), and I mean that as a compliment. Snoop’s Autotuned come-ons and his partner’s keytar-driven electro-funk grooves coalesce into an eminently catchy end product. Are you feeling Snoop’s newest persona? Then keep it locked for more fresh cuts between now and December 10, when 7 Days of Funk is scheduled to drop via Stones Throw.
Written by richard on 11/6/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.