Seeing Calvin Broadus revinvent himself as a spirit-channeling Rastafarian was pretty f**king weird at first, but debut album Reincarnated proved that Snoop Lion was more than a crazy gimmick. So try not to laugh too hard when you hit play on the debut video single from Snoopzilla, and see the gangsta-rap pioneer crooning seductively in a curly wig, aviators and a dookie rope. Faden Away, the first release off Snoop’s forthcoming album with Los Angeles producer Dam-Funk, feels like a throwback to 2009’s Sexual Eruption (which also boasted some hilariously kitschy, retro visuals), and I mean that as a compliment. Snoop’s Autotuned come-ons and his partner’s keytar-driven electro-funk grooves coalesce into an eminently catchy end product. Are you feeling Snoop’s newest persona? Then keep it locked for more fresh cuts between now and December 10, when 7 Days of Funk is scheduled to drop via Stones Throw.
Written by richard on 11/6/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce ft. Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.