As anyone who’s seen Soul Plane knows, Snoop Dogg has an irrepressible sense of humor, so when he declared that his new single Wet was created for recently engaged Prince William’s bachelor party, the announcement was more than a little tongue in cheek; or is that tongue in….nevermind. Whatever the reason for its making, Wet is here, and I’ve got a feeling it will be one of Snoop’s most controversial releases in a minute. About as far from a Dr. Dre beat as you can get, Wet meanders on a supremely minimalistic and oddly hypnotic beat from new school club heroes The Cataracts, a backdrop the Doggfather responds to with a quixotic, quasi-auto-tuned, half-sung, very hard to describe flow. The overall result is a record I’m willing to bet will inspire either instant love, or instant dislike. I just don’t know if it’s possible to be in the middle on this one. With Wet as one of the first offerings, I now have no idea what to expect from Snoop’s upcoming album Doggumentary Music (due out in March 2011), and maybe that’s exactly the way he likes it.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/1/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.