Much like his last single Gangsta Luv, the latest Snoop Dogg offering Upside Down is an upbeat track with a catchy hook. Featuring fellow west-coasters Nipsey Hussle and Problem, Upside Down opens with a short intro and then immediately attempts to teach America a new phrase for finishing off a drink: “Turn them things upside down.” Snoop’s flow and voice are a hip-hop staple, and he sounds smooth on this track, but frankly his lyrics are uninspired. While I understand Upside Down is a party anthem, I expect more from the Doggfather (even if he does reference his and Dr. Dre’s classic Nuthin’ but a ‘G’ Thang in one line). For their parts Problem and Hussle don’t add much, apart from repeating the hook and shouting out lines like “Put em on up” in the background, though Hussle does have the best line of the track when he says, “We all ballin’ like the ‘09 Lakers.” Snoop’s latest album Malice in Wonderland is set to drop December 8, just in time for the holidays.
Written by matt juss on 11/12/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hollywood Divorce" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.