At first blush, the idea of two sketch comics doubling as a rap crew is a little unusual. On further consideration, though, the twin fields pursued by Billy and Adam of Snakes share a lot in common: both depend on snappy delivery, both reward skillful improvisation and both (despite the common association of rap with monster egos) require an ability to clown on yourself every now and again. EP standout Wrong Feels Right finds the Harvard Sailing Club members peddling a brand of lyricism that’s both funny ”ha-ha” and a little peculiar, lacing Oceanside beatsmith Rich Royce‘s exotically unhinged sample work with tales of antisocial behavior (drunk bicycling, mixing Sprite with ginger ale…) and free-associated self-deprecation (“We’re so-so, we’re average, we’re cabbage, we’re baggage, we’re extra, we’re unnecessary…”). Joking or no, Snakes’ manifest skills make them an act well worth taking seriously. Agree with my assessment? There’s plenty more dopeness (and hilarity) where this came from on Snakes’ Sleepover EP, released last week and available for download from the crew’s Bandcamp page.
Sunny Day Entertainment
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.