At first blush, the idea of two sketch comics doubling as a rap crew is a little unusual. On further consideration, though, the twin fields pursued by Billy and Adam of Snakes share a lot in common: both depend on snappy delivery, both reward skillful improvisation and both (despite the common association of rap with monster egos) require an ability to clown on yourself every now and again. EP standout Wrong Feels Right finds the Harvard Sailing Club members peddling a brand of lyricism that’s both funny ”ha-ha” and a little peculiar, lacing Oceanside beatsmith Rich Royce‘s exotically unhinged sample work with tales of antisocial behavior (drunk bicycling, mixing Sprite with ginger ale…) and free-associated self-deprecation (“We’re so-so, we’re average, we’re cabbage, we’re baggage, we’re extra, we’re unnecessary…”). Joking or no, Snakes’ manifest skills make them an act well worth taking seriously. Agree with my assessment? There’s plenty more dopeness (and hilarity) where this came from on Snakes’ Sleepover EP, released last week and available for download from the crew’s Bandcamp page.
Written by richard on 07/28/11
Submit your Rating
Sunny Day Entertainment
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.