There’s been a blaze of fire coming from Chicago of late. From Vic Mensa to Chance, the City of Broad Shoulders is standing tall. Joining these men is buzzmaking beatsmith Smoko Ono, who introduces us to his work on new single Pass the Flame. On his Booth debut, the producer sets the boards ablaze with a unique beat, whose funky horns give it a swerving vibe. A production this abstract needs three talented, similarly left-of-center emcees to do it justice. Ono keeps it all in the Chi, recruiting Jarred A.G., Saba of Pivot Gang and Sterling Hayes of SaveMoney to add their unique, charismatic flows to the beat. No hook—just three talented youngsters doing their thing on the mic. Pass the Flame is the lead release off Ono’s Smoko and Friends project, due out next year.
Written by Lucas G. on 10/3/13
Submit your Rating
Fifth Dimension Collective
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.