Who is Smokey Robotic? Simple. He’s a musical half-robot, half-human conceived when a bolt of lightning hit a jukebox playing Al Green. Ok, so maybe that’s not so simple at all. While the mythology behind the group’s name remains enigmatic, more simply Smokey Robotic is a collaboration between producer !llmind (yep, that !llmind), singers/rappers/songwriters Seer, Father Dude and Konrad, plus visual director JK5. You know what, it’s a little hard to explain, you’ll just have to listen to their new record Most Beautiful. Beginning with a heartbreaking violin, transitioning into a thumping soul record and then morphing again into a quasi-hip-hop rider, by the time Most Beautiful is done its undergone more changes than MJ’s face, and incredibly all of them work seamlessly together. There are moments at which words completely fail to describe music – this is one of those moments. You’ll just have to press play. Those digging this uber-unique blend of superfuture music should cop the group’s self-titled LP, out now, and keep an ear out for their next, currently unspecified project.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/31/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.