Though Smoke DZA rose to Booth acclaim as a peerless purveyor of weed rap, it’s looking like the emphasis of forthcoming street album T.H.C. (The Hustler’s Catalog) will fall more on the hustle than the ganja. Fresh off chronicling his grind on The Early Days of George, the emcee continues in a similar vein on Uptown81, a cinematic (no pun intended) joint (also no pun intended) which, though plenty hazy enough to soundtrack your next smoking session, finds DZA focused squarely on the trials and tribulations of life in the ‘hood. Over Surf Club member Hit-Boy‘s bittersweet string samples, the freestyle series alum mixes elegiac street lyricism with unpredictable pop-culture allusions. Cali up-and-comer Kendrick Lamar follows suit on the back, dropping a tongue-in-cheek reference to Yung Berg‘s “chain reaction” before lamenting that “The President’s prayer can’t save us in my cul-de-sac…” Topped off with the understated hook and backing vocals of Mara Hruby, Uptown81 is just one of many fresh cuts set for inclusion on Smoke DZA’s latest street release, due out in late February.
Written by richard on 01/30/11
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.